Saturday, September 4, 2010

Looking for Hope

“Poverty often deprives a man of all spirit and virtue; it is hard for an empty bag to stand upright"   -Benjamin Frankilin

  Looking for hope when you feel like you are losing everything, feels like you are holding on to the edge of a cliff, and being unable to grip it. All of your thoughts are anticipating the fall. After having fallen, with your body broken and frail, the mountain looks impossible to climb again.

  We see this time and time again, while feeding the homeless in San Jose, Costa Rica. It always starts the same way. We see a brand new face on the street. Their story is normally my family wants nothing to do with me, because I drink too much or because I am addicted to drugs, or I have lost my job. The next time we see them their clothes are all torn, shoes missing, they haven't bathed for days, and the hopelessness of their situation seems to have taken over. This process continues until the same person you saw the first time is completly unrecognizable. No longer understanding how it feels to be loved, having forgotten what love even was. This is the ultimate depravity of man feeling seperated from God, love, life, and your mental stability.


  We ask that you keep these men and women in your prayers. They truely have no one, and they need a Saviour to rescue them and for them to follow.


"As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for You, o God."
                                                                                                                           - Psalms 42:1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

will surely keep these men in prayer and you both as you minister to them.thanks for sharing this with us. love you both, Francie

Anonymous said...

It is so good to know that you are there and meeting needs through the feeding of the Spirit and the body. My prayer is that you may be able to remain in Costa Rica and that funds will come in to keep you there. "But my God will provide all my need according to His riches in glory."
I trust you Lord.
Praying continually for you.
Love you.
Mom